The largest and westernmost of the islands of the Gulf of Naples, linked to the capital with ships and hydrofoils and summer in Capri; is long and 10 km wide field more than 7, and has a surface area of 46.3 km2. Volcanic fumaroles and still presents numerous hot springs. Is mostly mountainous (m.Epomeo 788 m), with very jagged and few, small rade. The very fertile soil produces grapes in particular (typical wines) and citrus fruits. The very mild climate, with 13° annual hike, promotes
the island's main industry, tourism, promoted by the thermal cures and favored by an excellent equipment. Colonized by the Greeks, fortified by Siracusani, occupied by the Romans in 322 BC, the island was the Duchy of Naples and then followed with special troubles the fortunes of the Kingdom, a fiefdom of the d'avalos by principle of Spanish domination in 1729. The last volcanic eruption recorded dates in 1302.
The main town is Ischia, on the coast, consisting of two contiguous to Port cores and bridge, the first stylish and well-equipped seaside resort and Spa, the second characteristic fishing village Island joint on which stands the Castle. The port is in an ancient volcanic crater of elliptical shape, connected to the sea by a canal excavated in 1852. A S the port begins the via Roma, which took the name of via Vittoria Colonna (d'avalos) constitutes the most elegant Street, with shops, cafes and restaurants. For a bridge built by Alfonso d'Aragona in 1438 it goes to the islet and climb, partly with lift, to the ruins of the Cathedral, of 1301, modified in ' 700, partially destroyed by bombing of 1809 (crypt with noble chapels and frescoes, some of which 1300). You still in sight of the arcades of the former Basilian monastery until the Church of the Immaculate, 18th century, annexed by the former convent of the Poor Clares (the Church left the hypogeum). We come finally to the sixteenth century Church of St. Peter at Pantaniello, hexagonal, and the castle of ancient origins but more times used in 800 reworked to political prison. From Ischia to the road toward's one arrives at Barano d'Ischia m 210, which has a S, in Lido dei Maronti, one of the most beautiful beaches of the island with undersea hot springs and fumaroles. After the belvedere of Barano, continuing on the provincial road leads to m 452 Fountain, whence a road to N makes it easy to hike to the Summit of Mount Epomeo, 788 m brinkpart of the crater (to S collapsed): ^ panorama of the Gulf of Naples and m. Lepini, Matese and the Cilento. By Panza m down 155 to the enchanting village of Sant'Angelo, scenically located on rocky promontory that same close to or the Maronti Beach, with good accommodation and Spa facilities.
Continue towards NO, situated on a promontory in an important area for wine production and catering equipment and thermal. At the end of the promontory is the white Church of the Madonna del Soccorso (panorama on Sea); in the Center, the cylindrical tower, remarkable raised (with several others in the area) from Aragon in 1480 to protect the coast, and the 14th-century Santa Maria di Loreto, remodelled in the Baroque age, with beautiful adornments and polychrome marble tiles. The beaches of St. Francis and Citara (at which waters flow at 46° -56 hyperthermal° Celsius), have excellent equipment. Continuing the tour of the island reaches Lacco Ameno, in territory inhabited perhaps as early as vn sec. a. C, one of the most elegant and well-known centers on the coast N of m. Vico m 116. In front of the small shore stands the characteristic mushroom rock. The village centre is the square N S. Restituta, in which stands the homonymous sanctuary consists of a greater Church rebuilt neli ' 800, with twentieth century facade, and a smaller one erected in 1036 and rebuilt at the beginning of the ' 700. A 16th century wooden statue of the Saint and a crypt, rest of the basilica built in rv-5th cent. reworking a large cistern of Republican age. In the churchyard is a museum with finds from the bronze age to the Byzantine period. At the end, or of the town, famous for its spas are the fumaroles or stoves of s. Lorenzo. In villa Arbusto, which It has a large park based events, is in Constitution an archaeological museum, with artefacts and Tomb kits from the necropolis of San Montano. Approximately 1.5 km or of Lacco Ameno is the Lido of San Montano, one of the most picturesque of the island.
Continuing on the provincial road N coast meets Casamìcciola Terme, major centers for the resort and spa treatments, distinguished in part built around the harbour marina, and a top, oldest.
FIND HOTEL IN ISCHIA